Feeling frustrated? Lost? Not sure what to do next? I hear ya! I’ve been there a lot recently. We all feel this on a daily basis, right? Even if you aren’t an entrepreneur these feelings still come up. Lately I’ve been experiencing something that goes a little like this…
One day I’m on top of the world singing out loud and the next I find myself on the couch watching Netflix. As I lounge there, part of my brain tells me “what are you doing with your life? Get up! You have work to do!” The other part runs around in circles trying to figure out what to focus on.
Working from home is no joke. It can be harder than working a 9 to 5.
Why? At most 9 to 5’s you have a set schedule. You have broken. You have a break room. You even have other people around you. Working from home does have its perks, don’t get me wrong. However, the self-discipline is a struggle. Lately, client work has been minimal which is actually nice. I’ve been able to further develop my other projects which include a couple of apps (should hit development stages soon), a book, and my Stupid Easy™ brand. But Ed, how are you doing all this and still struggling? Seems like you have enough to keep you busy. True! However, it’s not time sensitive yet and when you are primarily the only one working, it’s a challenge to stay focused.
[bctt tweet=”Working from home is no joke. It can be harder than working a 9 to 5.” username=”Ed_Troxell”]
So here’s how we are all gonna get back in the game.
- Exercise throughout the day. I find doing 10 push-ups every hour keeps me going all day.
- Be around, like-minded people. Super important! These people will help push you and keep you going. Doesn’t matter if you work a 9 to 5 or if you work from home, you can do this.
- In person is preferred. There’s something about meeting face to face that amplifies it. If you’re discussing ideas or any part of your business you should have the other person sign an NDA. Trust me! Super important and saves you later. NDA’s are like candy. You hand them out like crazy when those talks are about to get real!
- Online virtual meetings. A great alternative when you can’t find time to meet in person.
- Podcasts. Listening to a podcast around your industry or area of interest really lights your fire. Plug in your earbuds and it’s just you and that podcast. Next thing you know, you’re taking notes and fired up! No coffee needed. I’m getting back into this too!
- Facebook groups. Boy! Does this take the lead! If you are not in a good Facebook group you need to find one ASAP! From your phone, open the Facebook app, tap “more”, groups, and then discover. Search for your area of interest. See who you might know. Don’t forget you can post just a regular status update asking your friends if they recommend any too!
- Books. No, you don’t have to spend money on books. Just search your local library to see if they have it. Not only does this save you money, it also gives you a deadline. Yup! A deadline! You are more motivated to read that book because you know you have to return it by a certain date so you find time for it.
It’s important to do at least one of these “hacks” on a daily basis to keep you moving forward. Think of it as your daily vitamin. Do you have anything to add to this list? Let me know. If you haven’t enrolled in the email club you can do so below. Let me help you stay motivated as I share my tips tricks and experiences around business and technology.
Number 2 – is a must. Luckily I got that covered. 😉 As for the podcasts – what are some of your current faves Ed?
Great question! 😉 I listen to:
Start up (really enjoying)
School of greatness (need to get back into)
Build your tribe (need to get back into)
How about you?